An organization must complete and submit a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) to begin the process of becoming a Presumptive Eligibility (PE) Qualified Entity (QE).
After the MOA is approved, designated employees (not contracted staff) of the QE must:
- Attend and successfully complete all training required by the Family Support Division (FSD);
- Provide the FSD with a list of all trained staff. This list must be kept current at all times by sending notification of staff changes to COLE.MHNPOLICY@dss.mo.gov;
- Offer interested individuals/families the opportunity to complete the Application for Presumptive Eligibility (PE-1SSL) to receive benefits based on a PE determination.
NOTE: To receive PE, a PE-1SSL must be completed, signed, and dated.
- Encourage and assist the individual/parent/caretaker to complete a regular MO HealthNet (MHN) application:
- Online (https://mydss.mo.gov/healthcare/apply)
- Phone (855-373-9994)
- Paper MHN Single Streamlined application (IM-1SSL) mailed to FSD, 615 E 13th St, Kansas City, MO 64106; emailed to FSD.Documents@dss.mo.gov; or faxed to 573-526-9400
NOTE: Completion of the IM-1SSL is in addition to completing the PE-1SSL.
Do not delay presumptive eligibility determination for completion of the IM-1SSL, telephone application, or online application. Explain that they will be notified in writing when FSD makes a determination on their regular MHN application.
- Advise the individual/parent/caretaker that the end date for the presumptive period is the earlier of:
- The date an application for regular MO HealthNet is approved or denied (if an application is filed by the last day of the month following the month in which the PE determination is made); or
- The last day of the month following the month in which the PE determination is made (if no MHN application is filed by that date);
EXCEPTION: Temporary MO HealthNet During Pregnancy (TEMP) program is an exception when determining end dates. If determined ineligible for regular MO HealthNet coverage, TEMP coverage will continue until the last day of the month following the month in which the determination for PE was made. (This exception DOES NOT apply to SMHB-PE.)
NOTE: Inform the applicant that if a regular application (online, phone, or paper IM-1SSL) is not completed and submitted to FSD before the end of the PE period, PE coverage will end on the last day of the month following the month they are approved.
- Complete the PE determination using the QE PE Determination Worksheet (PE-2 Worksheet).
- Provide a copy of the appropriate form to applicant/family:
- Not eligible – Qualified Entity Presumptive Eligibility Determination Worksheet (PE-2 Worksheet)
- MO HealthNet Presumptive Eligibility Authorization (PE-3) for Children, Parents/Caretaker Relatives, or Former Foster Care Youth; or
- MO HealthNet TEMP/SMHB-PE Authorization (PE-3TEMP) for all pregnant women.
- Date stamp the PE-1SSL, IM-1SSL if received, and all other supporting documentation on the date received.
- Scan the appropriate forms to the Provider Portal the same or next working day after PE determination is completed;
- If not eligible, send a copy of the signed PE-2 Worksheet
- If eligible, send the following documents:
- Copy of signed PE-2 Worksheet;
- Copy of PE-3 or PE-3 PW
NOTE: DO NOT send the PE-1SSL to FSD. This is kept on file in your facility. Any additional documentation should be sent separately as “Supporting Documents” to the Provider Portal.
- Comply with all state, federal, and Missouri Department of Social Services rules and regulations, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), when conducting PE determinations;
- Maintain written or electronic records of all documents used in PE determination along with any related supporting documentation for a period of five (5) years from the date of the determination, unless litigation or audit has been started prior to the sixth year, then the record must be maintained until the litigation, or audit is resolved. These records will be made available to the department upon request;
- Notify FSD, within ten (10) days, of any changes in the point of contact information
- If individual is found eligible, applicable services will be provided by MHN Providers Fee-For-Service providers while the presumptive period remains in effect.
- Any documentation received after initial submission should be sent by the same method with the same subject line as “Supporting Documentation” through the Provider Portal.
Qualified entities must verify on eMOMED if:
- Applicant is currently receiving full MO HealthNet coverage;
- Applicant has received PE within the last 12 months or, if pregnant, during the current pregnancy
If the applicant meets either of the above criteria, then applicant is not eligible.
In addition, QEs will need a DCN for each applicant.
QEs may send an email to FSD.MEDESIVR@dss.mo.gov requesting the needed information.