Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: REGINALD E. McELHANNON, INTERIM DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: INTRODUCTION OF COST RECOVERY POLICY MANUAL SECTIONS FOR THE MO HEALTHNET FOR THE AGED, BLIND, AND DISABLED MANUAL
MANUAL REVISION #
Participants who receive MO HealthNet for Aged, Blind, and Disabled (MHABD) benefits are subject to cost recovery efforts by MO HealthNet Division (MHD). MHD is the payer of last resort and Federal and State laws allow, and in some cases require, MHD to take action to recover funds spent on participants who received medical assistance after they were 55 years old, or if they received vendor benefits at any age.
Sections were added to the MHABD policy manual:
- 000.00 Cost Recovery provides legal reference and basic information for all cost recovery efforts.
- 005.00 Estate Recovery explains effort for recovery after the death of a participant as a claim of a debt owed during the Probate Court process.
- 010.00 TEFRA Liens explains recovery efforts during the life of the participant, if receiving long term nursing home care with no expectation of release, through placing a lien on real property that the participant owns.
- 015.00 Voluntary Repayment explains the process of allowing participants to voluntarily pay MHD to maintain eligibility by decreasing resources and reducing the liability amount that would later be collected through Estate Recovery.
All cost recovery efforts are managed and overseen by MO HealthNet Division’s Cost Recovery Unit. They may be contacted directly by participants with questions or inquiries:
- Phone: 573-751-2005
- Email: CostRecovery@dss.mo.gov
- Mail: Cost Recovery Unit, PO Box 6500, Jefferson City, MO 65102-6500
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.
- All questions regarding this policy should follow normal supervisory channels.