Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: UPDATE TO THE ADDRESS CHANGE POLICY FOR THE SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SNAP)
MANUAL REVISION #
Food and Nutrition Services has updated the address change policy. While a SNAP household is not required to report an address change, it is necessary to obtain the new shelter expense information when a new address is reported if the new shelter expenses are not also reported with the change.
Staff must investigate and take action on potential changes in shelter costs due to the report of the new address. The following steps are to be taken when new shelter expense information was not provided with the new address.
• Staff must contact the household by telephone call to try and obtain the new shelter expense information.
• If the household cannot be reached by telephone contact, pend the case for the shelter expenses by:
o End dating the old shelter expense(s) for the prior month
o Re-entering the shelter expense(s) for the current month with a $0 amount leaving the verification code blank
• Send a request for information form to the household with details regarding the shelter expense information needed, allowing 10 days to provide the information. Staff must make it clear that the household does not need to await its first regular utility or rental/mortgage payment to provide the expense. Participant statement is acceptable verification.
• Make a comment in the eligibility system detailing whether or not the household was reached by phone to obtain the new shelter expense information, or if a request for information form was sent to the household to obtain the new shelter expenses.
• If a household fails to provide information regarding the shelter costs for the new address within 10 days of the request, the eligibility system will send a notice to the household with the new benefit amount explaining that their allotment was recalculated without the shelter deduction.
See manual section 1140.005.50 Address Changes for more information.
• Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.
• Send questions through normal supervisory channels.