Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SNAP) ABLE-BODIED ADULTS WITHOUT DEPENDENTS (ABAWD) WORK REQUIREMENT RETURNS
Effective July 1, 2023, SNAP ABAWD work requirements return following the end of the Public Health Emergency (PHE) on May 11, 2023. A notice will be sent on April 17, 2023 to all potential ABAWDs with information about the work requirements.
The FA-601 notice explains that participants who are considered ABAWDs will have to:
- meet the work requirement with qualifying activities,
- meet an exemption or exclusion to the work requirements, or
- will be limited to receiving benefits for 3 non-work months in the next 3 years
The new 3-year counting period is July 2023 through June 2026.
Participants will need to contact FSD to report the following:
- if they meet an exemption to the work requirements
- if they meet an exclusion that exempts them from the work requirements
- if they are meeting the work requirements
Staff must review the participant’s case information and update as needed if the participant reports work activities or an exemption.
Updates may include:
- Adding or updating income on SELINC (FMX2) screen,
- Updating the employment assessment code on the EMPLOY (FMMS), or
- Updating the work requirement code on the WORKREQ (FMMR) screen
- Entering verified work or training hours on DAILY ABAWD WORK & TRAINING HOURS (FMJW) or MONTHLY ABAWD WORK & TRAINING HOURS (FMJX)
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.
- Review FAMIS Resources regarding ABAWD