Enter the income information on the Income (FMX0) and Income Amount (FMX3) screens. The income type code is EI (earned income). The income source code follows each income in parenthesis. Refer to the FAMIS Income Code Chart for more information. Record a comment as outlined in the FAMIS Comments Quick Reference Chart. Earned income includes the following.
- Wages: all income for services performed as an employee (WA), including vacation pay, bonuses (BO), and commissions (CM). Consider actual tips received as earned income (TI). Actual tips received may differ from tips reported by the employer for tax purposes.
- Wages from Sheltered Workshop are considered included earned (SW).
- Wages through the Supported Employment program administered by the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation are included earned income (SJ).
- Subsidized employment – block grant funded: payment made by an employer that was subsidized from Title IV block grant (SU).
If a household member earns wages but the wages are diverted by the employer and paid to a third party for an EU expense, the income is counted as wages.
NOTE: Consider earnings to individuals participating in on-the-job training programs under Workforce Investment Act (WIA) as earned income. This provision does not apply to EU members under 19 years of age under the parental control of another adult member. (on-the-job training is coded J1.)
- Self-employment: net income from self-employment (the total gross income from such an enterprise, including the total gain received from the sale of any fixed assets related to such enterprise, less the expenses of producing that income). (SE, unless specified below)
- Rental property: Consider income from rental property earned income only if a member of the EU is actively engaged in managing the property at least 20 hours per week. (RE)
- Child Care Self employment: gross income paid to the EU member, including payments from the Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) through the state-paid Child Care Program. (CC)NOTE: If an EU member pays the child care income to another EU member, the income is excluded earned income. Enter the income as usual, but prompt out for the EU member who pays the income in the Paid by Supercase Member field on the Income (FMX0) screen. If an EU member is paid by CCDF for an individual who resides in the same EU, the income is included.
- Farm: gross income of more than $1000/yr (FA) or gross income of less than $1000/yr, including Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service Payments. (FM)
- Roomer: total payment received from each roomer less the expense of producing the payments. A roomer is an individual who pays rent for a room only. (RB)
- Boarder: total payment received from each boarder less the expense of producing the payments. A boarder is an individual who pays for rent and food. (RB)
- Training Allowances: payments received directly from vocational and rehabilitative programs recognized by federal, state, or local government, to the extent they are not a reimbursement. (TG) Reimbursement for work-related expenses is excluded unearned income (RM).
- Blood plasma: money received from selling blood plasma. (BP)
- Interest: money received from income. (Type UI – Source IN)
- Recurring lump sum military re-enlistment bonuses: If an EU receives half of the bonus in a lump sum with the remainder paid in equal annual installments, the bonus is counted as earned income. If an EU receives a one time lump-sum bonus, it is excluded income as a nonrecurring lump-sum payment. (BO)
Consider recurring lump sum payments as income when received. Code the recurring lump sum as the type of income it is on the Income (FMX0) screen and record that the payment is recurring.
EXAMPLE: Mr. C is guaranteed to receive a bonus quarterly from his employer. Code the income as a bonus (BO) and record that the payments are recurring.
Irregular earned income received on a casual or unpredictable basis that cannot be reasonably anticipated to be available during a three-month period and is not in excess of $30 during the three month period is excluded. Record the income on the Income Amount (FMX3) screen, and enter the excluded/irregular amount in the Irregular Amount field.
Always review the Food Stamp Budget Summary (FSBUDSUM or FM4A) screen prior to authorizing a case action. From the Budget Summary screen press F14=INCSUM to view the Income Summary Detail (INCSUMM or FM33) screen to ensure income you expect to be budgeted is included in the budget. If the income is incorrect, return to the appropriate screen and correct the inaccurate information.