Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: COVID-19: UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION UPDATES RESULTING FROM THE AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT (ARPA) OF 2021 FOR ALL PROGRAMS
Memorandum IM-37, dated April 29, 2020, introduced 3 new types of Unemployment Compensation Benefit (UCB) funds that were created on March 27, 2020, as a result of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
Those funds were the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) fund, the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) fund, and the Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) fund.
On March 11, 2021, the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) of 2021 was signed into law. The ARPA extends the expiration dates for UCB funds introduced by the CARES Act:
- FPUC-A $300 weekly federal supplement is added to regular UCB funds starting after December 26, 2020. This fund has been extended through September 6, 2021. FPUC funds are excluded/non-countable income for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and all MO HealthNet programs (except for sighted spouses on Blind Pension determinations).
- PUA funds provide UCB for eligible individuals who are self-employed, seeking part-time employment, or who would not otherwise qualify for UCB. PUA funds are extended through September 6, 2021. These funds count for all programs.
- PEUC funds provide an additional 13 weeks of UCB to individuals who have exhausted their regular UCB. PEUC funds are extended through September 6, 2021. These funds count for all programs.
Verification of Unemployment Compensation Income
Use IMES to identify, budget, and verify gross income and deductions from UCB for Missouri unemployment recipients.
- Review the COMP WEEK column of the IMES. Total all payments made per the CHECK AMT column for each specific COMP WEEK date to determine a gross payment amount. In the red box below, the total payment made for the COMP WEEK 12/30 is $620.00 ($558 + $62=$620).
- Enter $300 as FPUC funds.
- Deduct the $300 FPUC amount from the gross amount. The remaining amount should be the WEEKLY AMT. Enter the WEEKLY AMT as regular UCB, PUA, or PEUC funds.
For MAGI determinations, the self-attested amount may be different than the amount shown on IMES. Starting with the self-attested amount, deduct the first $300 and enter it as FPUC funds, which are excluded. The remaining amount is the self-attested regular UCB, PUA, or PEUC funds.
NOTE: Refer to 2020 Hot Tip, Identifying Pandemic Unemployment Types on IMES for more.
- For FAMIS determinations, evaluate the REC column of the IMES for child support payments (CHSP). If child support payments are deducted, budget the payments on the Court Ordered Expense (SUPEXP/FMXL) screen in FAMIS using normal budgeting procedures.
- Review the budget screens in the eligibility system before authorization. Regular UCB is included income for all programs.
Refer participants with questions about UCB to the Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations interactive site at uinteract.labor.mo.gov. Participants can use this site to file claims for UCB, view income verification, request documentation, and report changes in circumstances.
Subsequent updates to UCB will be released in additional memos.
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.