Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: COMMON LAW MARRIAGE UPDATE FOR ALL INCOME MAINTENANCE PROGRAMS
If a common law marriage was established in another state, each partner is considered a spouse in Missouri. Common law marriages cannot be initiated in Missouri.
EXAMPLE: Edward and Ana state they are common law spouses. Their marriage began in Kansas, where common law marriages can be established. Consider them spouses for eligibility purposes.
The following manual sections have been updated or created to reflect this information:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – 1100.010.00 Definitions and 1105.015.04.15 Mandatory Eligibility Unit Groups
- Temporary Assistance – 0205.025.00 Relationship of Payee to Child
- Family MO HealthNet – 1805.030.10.07 Relationships (NEW)
- MO HealthNet for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled – 1013.000.00 Relationships
Child Care will continue to follow Temporary Assistance policy for specified relatives. Refer to 2010.010.00 Relationship of the Applicant to the Child for more information.
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.
- Send questions regarding common law marriages through normal supervisory channels.