IM-85, June 15, 2020; IM-#53, August 09, 2018, IM-#25, March 23, 2017, IM-#6 January 20, 2016, IM-#100 Novermber 19, 2015, IM-#94 October 19, 2015, IM-#32 June 16, 2014, IM-#100 October 20, 2006, IM-#133 December 21, 2004, IM-#194 October 24, 2001, IM-#32 April 1, 1999
The following individuals are exempt from the 18 through 49 year old training/work requirement:
- An individual who is pregnant in any trimester;
- Any individual residing in an EU with a child under the age of 18, even if the EU member under 18 is not eligible for Food Stamps
- Any individuals, between the ages of 18 through 49, who are exempt from work registration. See EU Members Exempt from Work Registration.
EXCEPTION: Work registration exclusion codes 05 and 11 do not have to comply with the ABAWD work requirements.
- An individual unable to work due to an illness, injury or disability.
NOTE: Participants need not be disabled or meet the Social Security Disability standard to be determined unfit for work.
Obtain a medical professional’s statement to verify the exemption of an individual, claiming to be physically or mentally unfit for employment, who is not disabled per the Food Stamp Program definition (work registration code 15) unless the disability is “obvious” to the eligibility specialist.
NOTE: Eligibility specialist may use worker discretion when determining an obvious disability. Disabilities do not have to be seen to be obvious.
NOTE: Homelessness is an indicator that an individual may meet an exemption to work/ training requirements.
Refer to 1105.035.30 for the definition of homeless
Individuals determined not disabled for MO HealthNet for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled, may still be considered unable to work for the 18 through 49 year old work/training requirement. If the individual’s medical professional indicates the individual is unable to work, use the medical professional’s statement as verification of the individual’s inability to work and exempt the individual for the months that the medical professional has stated the individual is unable to work
If the individual is unable to furnish a medical professional’s statement, staff should use the MRT Processing Center to obtain a determination of the individual’s mental or physical inability to work. The Processing Center will make the medical professional’s appointment for the ABAWD determination.
Email the MRT Processing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the following in each email to MRT:
- Type ABAWD in the subject,
- Mark the email as high importance
- Note: To mark an email High Importance; while in the email message go to the Message tab and select the High Importance icon.